As I write blog number 309, I have to reflect on the discipline it takes to write a weekly blog. In 2018, I did not do a good job of writing my blogs this year. I fell off to only writing 28 versus 50. Looking at my results, it shows. Not one blog written in 2018 made my top 5. It is my annual tradition of reporting the year’s most read blogs according to Google Analytics and what I learned. My biggest lesson is failing to write every week. Just like some of my songwriter friends here in Nashville tell me, just keep writing and eventually you will have a hit. The same is true with blogging and traffic. Here are my Most Read Blog 2018, none of which were written in 2018.
- The Most Read Blog of 2018 was Do You Smoke an Occasional Cigar? This blog was written in 2014 and has been my top most read blog for the past four years and is now responsible for my most website traffic. I have to attribute this to Google searches. I stumbled upon a frequently searched word with not a lot of content as it pertains to life insurance. I still get thousands of hits on this blog. It is a testament to time, helpful content and persistence.
- The second Most Read Blog was Life Insurance is a Waste of Money. I learned this technique by attending Dr. Ivan Misner’s course of Author Mentorship in 2015. The technique of titling a blog that is controversial, but writing in favor of is called the “Straw Man”. The title is so offensive it draws in the reader thinking “how could someone write that”, but the reader soon learns the blog is pro-life insurance in this case. I cannot argue with the results of the “Straw Man” it was highly read and commented on and three years later my second most red blog.
- The third Most Read Blog was Accumulate Wealth with The Rule of 72. This blog was also written back in May 2014. It has been a top 5 blog every year since 2014. Everyone wants to accumulate wealth but most are just not sure how money really works. This is a simple system to write about using Albert Einstein’s philosophy and findings.
- The fourth Most Read Blog was 5 Habits of Successful Insurance Agents. This one was the most read in 2017 and still remains strong this year at number 4. Because a lot of my website traffic comes from LinkedIn and I am connected to several insurance agents all around the country and a few from other countries, this is a hot topic. This blog was just my personal observations of over three decades of coaching and training some very successful insurance agents.
- The fifth and last Most Read Blog was Stop Complaining, No One Cares. It was also written in 2015 and drew the most comments of any blog that year. I was even shocked that some people are pro-complainers. I believe this blog did very well because complaining is a wide spread problem and almost everyone is effected by a complainer. The lesson I learned here is write blogs that readers easily relate. Again title is very important.
I hope you have found some useful information in my insights of blogging and traffic. There is no science to my blogging just simple observations from sales and marketing for all of these years. My goal is to do a better job of writing in 2019 than I did in 2018. Maybe I’ll write another “hit”. Best of success to you in 2019!
“Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish’—John Quincy Adams
Image by Stuart Miles at www.freedigitalphotos.net
Tim Wilhoit is owner/principal of Your Friend 4 Life Insurance Agency in Nashville, TN. He is a family man, father of 3, grandfather of 2, entrepreneur, insurance agent, life insurance broker, employee benefit specialist, salesman, sales trainer, recruiter, public speaker, blogger, author and team leader with over 31 years of experience in sales and marketing in the insurance and beverage industries.